- Find some friends to go with you – it will be more fun that way!
- Determine the best time to visit – summer is the best time, but, it will be crowded and expensive – early spring or late autumn would be a good time to avoid crowds and also get good deals
- Decide itinerary – you can do 5 days in Switzerland, Benelux, France or Italy to 3-4 months in Europe depending on your budget.
- Arrange funds – Budget 100 Euros/person/day as the minimum + flights
- Apply for visas – Schengen (apply to the consulate of the country that you will be entering first on your trip) and UK (if going there)
- Book flight tickets in and out of Europe – fly to one location and return from another or do a circuit so that you start and end your trip from the same location. In any case, do not travel the same route twice!
- Book accommodation at major destinations – smaller destinations should be okay and can be arranged on arrival – try to find backpacker hostels – Hostels in Europe | Book European Hostels with Hostelworld.com
- Get information on transporation between destinations – bus, ferry, train, flights etc.
- Travel Europe with the Eurail train pass
- Check out these great easyJet flights.
- Cheap Flights | Cheap Flights to Europe | Ryanair
- Prepare checklist of items to carry – One-Page Packing Checklist :: One Bag
- Get travel insurance – very important! DO NOT SKIMP!
- Pack your bags
All the best!
You might find this link useful – all attractions listed are FREE
Things to do for free in Europe | Hostelworld.com
The major part of your budget is the return airfare from India. So, first find out which of the European destinations would be the cheapest to fly to. Delhi – Paris can be between 36K to 45K INR.
Then try to focus on destinations around that location. Minimize long distance travel within Europe (Spain – Germany, Southern France to Germany, Southern Italy to Germany etc.) as much as possible. So, combinations could be:
- North Western Germany, Netherlands, Belgium
- Paris, Southern Germany, Switzerland
- Southern Germany, Switzerland, Austria
- Southern Germany, Austria, Czech Republic