Summary of usage:
1. The most optimized way to use AMEX MR is to transfer to airline miles that you happen to have a usage. One example of best redemption is to transfer to Virgin Atlantic. US mainland – Hawaii round trip business class needs 80,000 miles. It is over $1300 if pay by cash. There’s lots of other trips and other airline miles AMEX MR can transfer to, making it very possible to redeem AMEX MR at 1.5-2 cents per point. (Warning: airline award tickets may have limited availability. Make sure it’s available before transferring AMEX MR to miles).
2. Redeem as Gift card when AMEX has promotion. The best promotion in the history is 5,000 points for $100 gap gift card, which was several years ago and never repeated. Although not so great, there might be still some good promotions. With them, the value of MR could be more than 1 cent (of gift card value) each point.
- What caused the crash of Air Asia flight QZ8501?
- If Air India becomes privatized, will it be rebranded as a new airline?
- How many feet per minute do most airliners take off and land at?
- Wie funktioniert das Tanken an Flughäfen? Haben Flughäfen unterirdische Tanks? Wie lange dauern sie? Wie pumpen sie es zum Flugzeug?
- How much do airlines pilots earn in different countries and experience level?
3. Sell at brokers for cash. This option is in gray area. AMEX MR doesn’t want you to do it, but AMEX MR wouldn’t know if you do it. One reliable broker is MilesP2P which has good reputation online and over two thousand Facebook likes. As of now (March 2017), price for AMEX MR is 1.3 cents/point.
4. Buy stuff as Amazon at 0.7 cent/point. Add your AMEX credit card, and the option will come up automatically at Amazon payment page. However since the value is too low, try to avoid it as possible.